Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Why does the grass seem greener on the other side?


So, this past week, my daughter and I had a whirlwind weekend vacation to visit family in California. Striving to be greener, of course I sat in the airplane thinking how wonderful technology is at the same time wondering how much of the ozone layer my little plane ride was depleting. So, I tried not to think about it as my mind began to wander thinking about all the germs being circulated throughout the contained cabin of the plane. Boy, greener living sure can start to make you a little paranoid, haha.

Anyway, we went to San Francisco, to Pier 39, and had lunch. As is the usual custom with me, I had asked for a take home box for my leftover lunch. To my surprise, the take home box was biodegradable, GMO free and bio based and the take home bag was also made of the same type of 'green' material. I actually felt pretty good about my leftovers. On top of that, the bathroom toilets had to flush settings. One for when you go #1 and another for #2. Pretty cool.

Now, I realize that I live in a VERY small city, but it really made me think...why aren't we a 'greener' city? I mean we have some of the most beautiful white sand beaches and beautiful ocean waters in the US yet our city is so DIRTY. So, what does make one city greener than the next and how does a city become greener?

What do we, as citizens, do to help make our city greener? I know that these types of things usually start as grass roots, but where do you start? So, I think that may be my next quest, getting more involved in community actions towards a greener city. I'm not sure where to start or even how involved I can get, but I believe that it is my responsibility to at least try.

So, my question to you is...what do you do in your community to help it be a healthier place to live? If nothing, then what CAN you do to help it become a healthier place to live?

Hopefully your grass IS greener on the other side.


"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtfully committed citizens
can change the world.
Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."
Margaret Mead

No comments:

Post a Comment